IS LISTENING TO MUSIC FREE?
IN OUR COUNTRY, IN ORDER TO PLAY MUSIC IN BARS, NIGHTCLUBS, COMMERCIAL PREMISES OR IN ANY PUBLIC WAY, THE AUTHORIZATION OF THE OWNERS OF SUCH WORKS MUST BE OBTAINED IN ADVANCE.
The music that is affected must have a legal origin, i.e. from original discs, radio or a music service for venues.
What is the music to pay for?
We can find music whose rights are managed by the entities SGAE, AGEDI and AIE and on the other hand, music managed by other entities or their own authors and which do not charge fees for public communication to the premises.
Who’s to pay?
The entities that grant authorization to play music with Autos Rights are SGAE, AGEDI, and AIE: this type of music is governed by a set of legal rules and principles that affirm the moral and economic rights that the law grants to authors ( copyright), for the creation of his works. This variety of music can enjoy public dissemination as long as your canons are paid.
A piece of music can be passed into the public domain (i.e. being freely used by all audiences) when the economic rights have expired, that is, when about 50 years have elapsed at the international level; the work can then be considered free and be used in compliance with moral rights.
Free Music does not require a payment for public reproduction and is regulated under licenses that even, in some cases, allows its free copying, reproduction, distribution and editing.
Should I pay to put music in my establishment
There are many businesses that must regularize the use of music with rights and pay SGAEfees. These include:
- Bars, restaurants, cafes, summer terraces and hotels
- Show and dance halls, party rooms, nightclubs, pubs and flamenco tablaos
- Drinks, disco-pubs, music bars and karaoke
- Gyms, department stores and large commercial areas
- Bingos, bowling alleys and gaming rooms
- Trade fairs and trade shows
- Concert and show promoters
- Internet portals
- Sports halls and bullrings
- Transport lines
- TV stations, radio stations and movie theaters
The SGAE rates published in 2016 have varied depending on the characteristics of thebusiness: size of the venue, music dissemination through audiovisual media, use of the musical setting as a secondary form and incidental, holding on-site dances, etc.
Do you have a place or business and have been fined for listening to music in it? Do you know what alternatives there are to paying this fee? In Toscano Lex we can solve all your doubts and advise you to get the most out of your business, do not hesitate to contact us, because it is always better to prevent than to cure.
- IS IT A CRIME FOR YOUR EX TO STOP PAYING THE MORTGAGE FEES ON THE FAMILY HOME?
- WHAT TYPES OF CRIMES CAN BE COMMITTED IF MY HOUSE IS OCCUPIED?
- NEW COURT RESOLUTION: A COMMUNITY OF OWNERS IS CONVICTED FOR HAVING PROHIBITED VACATION RENTALS
- ADVOCACY AS A VOCATION
- CAN A TRIAL BE REPEATED IF THE ACCUSED HAS NOT SAID HIS LAST WORD?